alt

Print

The Churchyard

Outside in the churchyard several tombs are worth a visit: Captain Nicholas Tettersell, who took Charles II across the Channel from Shoreham to France in his boat after the King's flight from Worcester in 1651; Phoebe Hessel who served as a soldier and died at the age of 108 in 1821; Martha Gunn who was well-known in Regency days as the Royal Bathing Woman.  The tomb of Sake Deen Mahomed lies in the North Garden.  He was nicknamed "Dr Brighton" and was renowed for his appointment as "Shampooing Surgeon" to royalty (The Prince Regent).  It is believed he also invented Turkish baths.  The stone steps of the Churchyard Cross may be seen just below the south porch.  The cross itself was destroyed by Cromwell's soldiers, and the new one, added in 1934, is an example of modem sculpture, designed by Walter Godfrey, architect and noted historian of Sussex churches.

The Churchyard, which provides a veritable treasure-house of Brighton history, is today administered and maintained by the Brighton and Hove City Council, though under the leadership of the Vicar, Fr Robert, the St Nicholas' Green Spaces Association was intitiated.   This association is a voluntary group, established during the summer of 2007 whose aim is to protect and enhance the three open spaces around St Nicholas' Church as  place of recreation and enjoyment for all sections of the local community.  SNGSA aims to publish a regular and interesting newsletter, and work closely with the City of Brighton and Hove to ensure that appropriate maintenance and profile is given to this delightful series of open spaces.
 

1