The church underwent a major restoration in 1853 in memory of the Duke of Wellington, which despite the undoubted improvements, led to the loss of some architectural features. Before this the roof was lower and there were dark galleries in both aisles, reached by steps outside the church. There was a balcony across the Chancel arch where the fishermen sat and another over the Tower arch where the Swan Downer charity girls in their characteristic bonnets used to sit. The traditional box pews that filled the Nave, Chancel and Side Chapel were replaced with ordinary pews. A model of the church before this restoration can be seen in the south-west corner of the church.
There have been other improvements since 1853. The roof has been raised and the Clerestory windows installed; the choir stalls and oak panelling have been added in the Chancel: there is a beautiful series of stained glass windows from designs byC.E.Kempe; the side chapel has been properly furnished for its present use as the Lady Chapel.
In 2001 the church interior was re-ordered again. The Font has been relocated from the south door to the more appropriate position at the west end. The Wellington Monument has also been relocated from an obscure corner by the Tower to stand beside the Font. The pews have been replaced by chairs, permitting much greater flexibility in the use of the building. A new wooden floor has been laid, with under floor heating; the lighting and sound systems have been improved and 2009 saw the restoration of the 14th century screen, the ceiling above it and the two wall paintings at East and West ends of the nave. During autumn 2010 the Chancel ceiling has been undergoing restoration and is now unveiled showing the glorious colours which had been covered with years of dust, grime and badly applied Victorian varnish.