This church is dedicated to St Nicholas, the patron saint of sailors and fishermen. Until 1873, St Nicholas was the Parish Church of Brighton and it still is the Mother Church and the only church in central Brighton of ancient interest.
The Church is more than a building however splendid it might be and St Nicholas' houses a lively, committed and growing congregation.
The Vicar, Fr Dominic Keech, has been the parish priest of St Nicholas’ since January 2017. Before coming to Brighton, he was previously a university chaplain, and has a research background in early church history.
Our Church provides quality accommodation for events such as weddings, parties and small meetings.
The Church provides high quality heated accommodation accessed via double doors from an entrance hall and ramp. The church can accommodate approximately 250 persons seated theatre-style, or approximately 100 sitting at tables for meals, quizzes, or similar activities. A hearing loop system and grand piano is available for Hirer's use.
Opening times for Visitors
In addition to services, the church is usually open for visitors on Wednesday and Saturday from 12-2pm.
If you are making a special visit, please contact the Parish office first to check we will be open as circumstances can change.
Occasionally access may be restricted due to services and special events.
The church underwent a major restoration in 1853 in memory of the Duke of Wellington, which despite the undoubted improvements, led to the loss of some architectural features. Before this the roof was lower and there were dark galleries in both aisles, reached by steps outside the church. There was a balcony across the Chancel arch where the fishermen sat and another over the Tower arch where the Swan Downer charity girls in their characteristic bonnets used to sit. The traditional box pews that filled the Nave, Chancel and Side Chapel were replaced with ordinary pews. A model of the church before this restoration can be seen in the south-west corner of the church.